Sunday, 18 November 2012

I. Hate. November. Warning! Depressing blog post ahead!

November always gets me down.  It is such a grey month.  Seriously, I haven't seen the actual sun for a week now.  Every day the sky is grey. Yes, I know it isn't raining, or even worse snowing, but every day is the same gloomy grey and it's dark... Dark at 4:30 in the afternoon.  All anyone wants to do is sleep.

  I know I complain about Christmas creep and growl about people putting up Christmas decorations a month and a half before Christmas, but at the same time I can kind of understand why people are looking for a little cheer, because a lot of days in November it seems like there is absolutely nothing to be cheerful about.

  Now for those of you who don't live in Canada I will give a little clarification here.  In Canada we have approximately 8 months of winter and 4 months of rough sledding.  In Atlantic Canada it only gets hot for about 3 weeks of the year around the end of July and the first of August and if you are a sun worshiping beach bum like me, that simply isnt enough!  From about the end of May till mid July it is what we call comfortable.  It is a bit chilly at night and in the morning, but by noon time it has usually warmed up to the high teens and you can go out side with out a sweater.  Fall isn't so bad either, ( fall being from the end of August to the end of October).  Again, it's chilly, and the days are getting shorter, but the leaves are pretty and the bugs are gone so you can really enjoy tromping around in the woods, but then comes November.  

In November all the leaves have fallen, all the busy fall preparations are done and it gets cold and there is nothing left to do but wait. For. Winter.  ......It's coming, any day. That long darks cold snowy winter. The days are so short in November that some times it seems like the sun is never out.  You know snow is imminent, it is like waiting for a terminally I'll person to die.. You know that it is coming and you dread it, but some times you just wish it would happen so the dreadful anticipation will be over.  Any day now you are going to wake up to a foot of the white stuff and that will be it, winter will be here for another cold 6 months.  I guess it is the anticipation that I don't like, the knowledge that I am as far away from the warmth of summer as I can be. The days will get shorter for the next month and it is too soon to look forward to Christmas.  All there is to look forward to is months of shoveling snow, frozen hands, and wet toes, and icy drives, and getting up to a cold house and keeping the wood stove going and wondering if I will make it home form work or get stuck  in a snow bank because it's storming again...... Sigh!  

I am sure part of the reason I hate November is because my brother died in November.  Even after 25 years there is a hint of sadness at the mere mention of November, but I think that all this grey gloom really increases it.  

And as if November wasn't bad enough with all of the stuff I have just described a recent addition has been the advent of Movember! Now don't get me wrong! I support finding a cure for prostate cancer, and I can see how men felt the need to draw awareness to a previously over looked cancer, but for the love of god, couldn't you find a better way than making every man out there look like a greasy 70's porn star? Really? Why not a blue ribbon or something?

If I ever win the lottery I am buying a house someplace warm and sunny where there is no winter and I will go there in October, so I don't have to face November at all!  ARRG,I just saw a snowflake float past my window.. I'm going to check my lottery numbers right now... If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know where I am, on a beach some where drinking a piña colada and sticking my tongue out at November.

No comments:

Post a Comment