Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Who's Aunt is that??

I had one of those moments tonight that I have always heard about on tv, but had never actually experienced. I happened to glance in the mirror and for a brief second I didn’t recognize myself. Now don’t panic, I’m not losing my mind or anything, I knew it was me looking back, but for just the briefest second it didn’t register. My face didn’t look like me! I had one of those, ” who is that middle aged woman in the mirror?” moments. She looked very familiar, like she could be my aunt or something. She looked enough like my mother that she could be a relation, but she definitely could not be me! and I thought , “do I really look that old to everyone else?? Is this what I look like?” It is strange that I could say that I don’t know what I look like, after all I spent time looking at myself every day! I am ashamed to say that I am very image conscious and I am terrified that I could be talking to someone and say, have a piece of food stuck in my teeth, or even worse, a booger on my nose, but I realized that I don’t actually spend much time just absorbing the look of my whole face. Instead I focus on little bits rather than the whole. You know what I mean, I get out the magnifying mirror and pluck out those damn little dark hairs that , as of late seem to sprout from my chin, lip, and .. dare I say, even my nose! While I’m at it I will dig out those bloody little pimples who haven’t yet gotten the message that they have overstayed their welcome by at least 20 years!! And then I examine my eyes when I am putting on my make up and try and decide, what do I need today? Preparation H to shrink the bags, or shelack to fill in the wrinkles that appear when the bags aren’t there? But the whole face? I guess I haven’t considered it in a long while, seeing how I didn’t’ even recognize it, even if only for a brief second. So now that I have gotten this external view of myself, be it ever so brief, I think I am going to try and see if I can do it a bit more often and ask a few more questions about that face that I see. Does that lady look like someone I would like to spend time with? Will she listen to me? Does she look pleasant? Angry? Stressed? Hard? Soft? Happy? Sad? Does she have the look of someone who is hopeful? Or the look of someone who has given up? Is she loved, does she love? Is she some one I can depend on? I hope so! I have a lot of wonderful Aunts who have given me great guidance, love and support over the years, but I could always use one more I suppose… wasn’t there a song about a guy who was his own grandpa? I guess that means I could be my own aunt, now I just have to sort out, am I the cool young fun aunt? Or the weird eccentric one with the crazy clothes who talks to her cat….

No comments:

Post a Comment