Friday, 31 May 2013

23 years and I still can't get enough of this guy!

I wrote this story as. Facebook note a few years ago, but since tomorrow is the 23rd anniversary of the night I met my true love I thought I'd share it again. Enjoy!
     20 years ago today I met the love of my life. To be honest we had been introduced through a mutual friend at high school but he had a girlfriend and I had a boyfriend at the time and that was that. So on June 1st 1990, I went out with my girlfriends. They were trying to cheer me up after my recent break up with my boyfriend of 2 months (an eternity in high school). A group of us girls went out in Polly Broome's parents station wagon (shaggin wagon). Polly was the sober driver and the rest of us, well we were not. 
     I was oh so cool with my gigantic hair, my rolled up french baggy jeans, my dads blazer and my pointy toed shoes, you remember, the ones with the little metal caps on the tips? Back then the cool thing to do in Summerside was what we called the BK 500. Basically you drove around Burger King parking lot, saw who was there and then drove up to MacDonalds parking lot, saw who was there and drove back again.. etc. in between times you stopped, socialized and drank.
     I was drinking Rockaberry wine coolers, and being hit on by some goofy guy who I wasn't interested in. He kept buggin me to give him one of my coolers which I wouldn't do because those things were hard to get when you were underage. Finally I told him to leave me alone, he called me a bitch and I kicked him in the balls.
     Now if you are thinking this guys was Trent you are wrong! Trent comes into the story now. You see after I kicked this guy he fell to the ground yelling and cursing and so of course a crowd gathered. this guy was rolling on the ground calling me everything but a white woman and his friends were rather annoyed with me as well. I was looking a little nervous when my knight in a denim jacket stepped up and put his arm around me and said " hey, that is not a very nice thing to say to this nice girl!" to which the other guy said, " that whore kicked me in the balls!" Trent then said to me, " you didn't do that did you?" to which I replied, " it was an accident" so Trent says, " see, she said it was an accident," and then to me he said, " come on lets get away from these losers". so the conversation progressed from there.
He asked if I went to Westisle, and said he remembered seeing me around. He asked if I had a boy friend and was pleased to hear that we had broken up. He suggested that we sit in the back seat of my friends car because I was cold and then..... 

     My drunk friend Amy came and hopped in the back seat with us! Trent was in the middle and Amy and I were on either side. She was crying her eyes out over some guy who had spurned her affection so of course Trent starts paying attention to her! then Polly comes and begs me to come and help her. It seems that another of our crew was passed out on the floor of the Burger King bathroom and they were threatening to call the cops if we didn't' get her out. Damn! I figured if I left this hunky boy alone with Amy she would get her claws into him before I came back. So I hauled him out of the car and put my forehead against his and said " will you wait here for me while I go help my friend?" he said "sure" and I gave him a big kiss. He grinned and later told me he was thinking to himself "Boy! you are getting on tonight!" he didn't but he hung around. 
After the rescue he and I went for a walk to Tim Hortons and talked all the way. Coming back I was eating a Boston cream doughnut and when a big blob of cream squeezed out on my finger I plopped it on his nose. He stopped in mid stride and looked at me like I was deranged. " What ever possessed you to do that?" he asked to which I just laughed my head off. In the end he asked for my phone number, and wrote it on his cigarette pack. We tongue wrestled a bit more... and well the rest as they say is history. 
      I know I love him more today than I ever have. We have grown up together, had lots of hard times, but more good times. We have loved large and dreamed big. He is my best friend, and I hope he always will be. So tonight if you see a couple of people making out in the Burger King Parking lot, please don't call the cops, our kids will be very embarrassed if they have to come and bail us out of jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment