I have thought long and hard about
this blog post because it is very personal, and controversial, and
probably going to be very unpopular with a lot of people who I
respect, but it seems everyday I am reading or hearing something in
the news on this topic and everyday I think about writing but I
haven’t, because I'm scared to. I’m scared to talk about my own
secrets. I’m scared to offend people I respect. I’m scared to
speak out in an unpopular way, but here it is. I am pro
life.
Now before you tune me out or cast me
as a right wing, religious, judgemental, do gooder let me tell you my
story. I am not religious, I consider my self a christian but don’t
attend a church. At 16 I was a good student from a religious home
with a bright future ahead of me. Then I was date raped. I did NOT
get pregnant, but I felt worthless. A few months later a met a
different boy who was wonderful gentle and caring. When this boy
came along I felt like he deserved sex and thought that if I didn’t
give it to him I would lose him, so I did and got pregnant the very
first time. The next day we talked and agreed it was stupid to have
not used protection, we did every time afterwards. If there would
have been a Plan B pill available I wold have taken it I am sure, Who
knows where my life would be right now, 24 years later? I can never
guess, but I do know that this summer that wonderful no longer a boy,
man will walk a beautiful amazing young woman down the aisle at her
wedding. She is brilliant, lights up the life of everyone she knows
and is about to become a teacher. I thank God everyday that my
government, my society, took away my right to choose. I didn’t
have to raise her and for the first few months that I was pregnant I
was sure that I wouldn’t but I know that I am better for having
done it. I'm the lucky one. If I had given her up another family
would have loved her and raised her and if anything she would
probably be even more amazing than she is right now (if that is
possible).
I don’t even like the title pro
choice.. it seems that if you are against abortion you are against
women, against freedom, against feminism and I am for all of those
things. I truly believe that in 2014 abortion should be unnecessary except
in the rarest of life threatening circumstances. Women do have the
right to choose, we have the right to choose to use birth control, we
have the right to choose to have sex or not to have sex and we even have the
right to choose to parent or not. We can do all of these things with
impunity and we do every day! We have access to healthcare and social
support. When my grandmother got pregnant out of wedlock at 17 in
the 1930s it almost cost her her life. She was kept hidden inside
and almost died giving birth because no one would get a doctor for
her. The baby eventually died because of the terrible birth. Then
she had to get married because there was no way for a woman to
provide for a child at that time. That is not the world we live in
in Canada in 2014. We have universal health care, we have social
assistance programs that are there to help women young and old. We
have the right to work at what ever we want. We also have the right
to be single parents, choose open adoption, or closed adoption. I am
pro all of these choices!! I am just not pro abortion.
Instead of talking about and rallying
for publicly funded abortions, lets focus on better access to
healthcare so that when a young woman finds herself unexpectedly pregnant she has
a network of support in place right away to help her make the right
choices. Lets focus on programs like universal childcare, Min-come
and publicly funded university. If we had all of these things would
people feel the need for abortion? A lot less I'd imagine.
Now I'd like to talk about myths
“abortion doesn’t have negative health consequences”. It has
many negative health consequences to the mother including
depression, suicide and accidental death due to extreme risk taking. It also has one major huge health effect to the child, to the child abortion it is fatal every time. Neonatology has grown by leaps and bounds over the last 30 years. We
know that even at the early cell stage these embryos have their own
unique DNA separate from their mothers. By 5 weeks gestation that
child’s heart is beating. I am no doctor, but when a heart stops
beating that usually means the person is dead. Children are viable
outside of the mothers womb at earlier and earlier stages, but yet we
persist with the myth that a fetus is only a nonviable blob of
tissue despite mountains of scientific evidence that shows they are
feeling sentient beings from early weeks of development! We persist
in the myth that women who choose abortion are making the best choice
for themselves because they are just not ready to parent. I’ve got
news for you.. most people aren't ready to parent, even when they
think they are! The only thing that makes you ready to parent is
being one! By making the choice for an abortion you may be making
the simplest choice for you, but what about the life of your child
and all of the people your child could grow to impact? We also
persist in the myth that once a woman gives birth she wont be able to
give that baby up for adoption. I can tell you from knowing numerous
families who have adopted children it was the best thing in their
lives ever. From knowing adopted children, they have felt loved and
special and nurtured and cared for their whole lives. What a gift
that must be for the birth mothers to be able to know that even
though she wasn't ready to raise you she was able to give the
greatest gift ever to someone who was.
I don't want to be judgmental and I
respect a woman's right to make fully informed choices about her life
and her health. I just hope that any woman considering abortion can
hear my story and others like mine. I am not glorifying single
parenting, or pregnancy at all. It was hellish hard. I have stretch
marks, and had hard childbirth. I was poor, made mistakes parenting
and I didn't graduate from university until I was 35 but for the
life of my child, I'd do it all again a million times. A pregnancy
is a life, not a choice.
I agree with much of what you say, Michelle, and it was well said too.I see some very valid points. I am of a very like mind but my pro life stance is simply due to horrific videos shown to me back in my teen encounter (Catholic Youth Group) days. Where I disagree id that not all of us live in "this" world you have described, with endless amounts of support. Yes, there are far greater resources in the western world. But this is an issue for women all over the world. Do you ask a woman in a poverty stricken country to give birth and then watch as the child she loves dies slowly from famine or disease, or to give away to whom? Celebrities can only adopt so many kids.
ReplyDeleteRight here in our own ever so progressive settings. Single parenthood is no longer a shameful thing, infact almost every young or unprepared mother is keeping her child. They are told there are supports you can do this, there will always be someone to help. These woefully unprepared individuals start out with good intentions and perhaps even half decent skills, and possibly from there descend into madness. Child abuse, neglect, child murder, foster home after foster home, kids on the streets because its better than home, etc.etc. I'm not saying anyone who has experienced this should never have been born, or that people don't triumph over adversity. what I'm saying is you can offer all the supports in the world, sometimes it's not enough, sometimes people think they can be a parent, but will never be equipped for the job.Offering this child for adoption?? wonderful idea, stellar!! I agree completely. But if this were a really effective idea, why are people waiting years and years to adopt a child? Why are countless kids waiting for years and years to be adopted, if ever?
My pro life stance is simply mine, never to judge another for the choices they make. And I know this is what you are saying too, and you have likely give this far more thought than I, I really just enjoy my debates with you! Have a good one Michelle
Thanks for your thoughts Cathy. I always enjoy our debates as well, you have such immense wisdom with in you! My post was definetly directed towards our society. The issues in countries where women aren't equal and could suffer like my grandmother did are difficult for me to reconcile my self to. And maybe I am living in a sugar coated dream world to think that women don't suffer here too, but really my goal is to engage people in constructive thought. Luv ya lots!
DeleteCathy... you are saying that death before the option to try is the better option? Sorry... I just can't hold to that idea. :) Choosing life is the best option... i has limitless potential, for good or ill, but potential indeed. Death takes all that away. Could it remove the possibilty of not having struggle in life? For sure. But EVERYONE struggles in life, some just struggle harder...and struggling harder is NOT a bad thing, it's just a hard thing.
ReplyDelete