Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Silence

Silence.
                Silence, it isn’t something we are used to any more.  I am never in silence.  Always there is the radio or an audio book or music.  Even when I sleep I have and electronic white noise maker that I can’t sleep without.  So for a while today I thought I’d just sit in almost silence.. except for the refrigerator and the furnace and the two cats fighting.. ok still no silence, but I turned off the electronics. (please note that when finished I immediately had to turn it back on and blog about the experience!)  Before the cat fight I just gave my full attention to my tea, the smell, the steam drifting in front of my face as I lifted the cup.  The flavour of my breakfast.  The light from the whirling snow outside. And I thought, “ I need to do this more, just be present and mindful”  even during the cat fight I got mindful of those two little beasties that I love so much.  I never really thought about what they do all day when we are not home.  I figured the just slept mostly.
 It seems like I have very much lost the ability to just be present in the moment.  Always switching between cell phone and facebook and TV or radio..  I did a break from TV a couple of years ago, around the time I think when I started the blog and now I am thinking maybe I need a break from all electronics, except I’m not sure I can!  I am currently being trained as an addiction recovery program facilitator and I have been worried that may be I wouldn’t be good at it because I have never struggled with addiction, but clearly I am addicted to my cell phone and computer.. ok I am addicted to the internet.  The catch is that this program promotes abstinence, but I need these tools to do my job.  It would be like a wine taster alcoholic trying to only taste wine at work.. I think that I would just spend a lot of my work day binging on facebook and internet.. clearly this is something I need to think about!

For now I guess I could work on today.  Taking time today to be mindful.  Enjoy the mid week storm day, do some meditation, just be.  No planning, no wishing, no worrying about tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment